As you begin to look for a new or second home, you immediately come up with questions. We’d like to help make your decision about Mountain Air easier by answering some of those questions. As always, if you don’t find the answer here, you can call us at 828-682-1578 and we’ll be happy to provide you more information.
Where is Mountain Air?
Mountain Air is located atop a mile high mountain in Western North Carolina. Located in the quaint, small town of Burnsville, we are located just 30 minutes from Asheville, NC and 45 minutes from Johnson City, TN by car. Mountain Air is also unique in that we have a private runway at the top of the Mountain. At 4400 feet it is the highest runway east of the Rocky Mountains. Single engine planes to small jets can easily maneuver the 2,785 foot paved runway.
When was Mountain Air established and Who Owns it?
Mountain Air was established in 1990 and celebrates its 27th anniversary with over 400 property owners. Family owned by the Banks family since the late 1800s, the vision of Mountain Air started in the 1900s with the combined vision of the Banks & Young families. The Runway was completed in 1990. Today Mountain Air is a debt free community with its Clubhouse entirely owned by its members.
Mountain Air Amenities
- 6,425 yard 18-hole Par 71 championship golf course designed by long time Pete Dye associate Scott Pool. The course is the third highest east of the Mississippi. Pro Shop is staffed with PGA Class A Golf Professionals to help your game and is also a fully stocked retail store.
- Lost Chimneys Learning and Performance Center
- Approximately 12,000 square foot Clubhouse, which includes the Oak Dining Room, Sunset Grille, Balsam Lounge and Private Dining Room.
- Mountain Market offers morning coffee, sandwiches, soups and other food selections as well as beer and wine and sodas for purchase along with a small selection of takeout items.
- Heated swimming pool adjacent to Orville & Wilbur’s Bar & Grill.
- Two Har-Tru championship tennis courts (one lighted)
- Bocce Ball Court
- Chautauqua Fitness Center is a fully equipped exercise facility including the latest TechnoGym equipment, fitness classes, Men’s and Women’s locker rooms, showers, saunas and steam rooms, hot tub, and Spa Tohi offering massage therapy, body treatments, facials, manicures and pedicures
- Outdoor Discovery Center is a year round nature resource. Staffed by a full-time Director of Natural Resources, it’s your gateway to learning and fun on the Mountain. Mountain Air offers over 7 miles of hiking trails on the property
Security & Safety Measures
- 24/7 manned guardhouse and controlled access gate. Admittance by owner car pass. Guests must sign in and receive a temporary pass
- Mountain Air also has its own fire station which is a substation for West Yancey Country VFD. Two trucks are housed on the Mountain to ensure the quickest possible access to fires
Utilities & Roads
- Mountain Air water utilities are managed and run by Mountain Air Utilities Corporation
- Sewage is provided by the town of Burnsville
- French Broad Electric Membership Cooperative provides electrical service
- Cable TV is available through several resources including Country Cablevision, Direct TV and Dish
- Mountain Air provides wireless broadband high speed internet services managed by Skyrunner and is available throughout the entire mountain
- Roads are maintained by the Property Owners Association. Paving and repairs are done on a rotating schedule annually. Snow removal is provided by contract and all roads are serviced daily by mid-morning
Mountain Air’s elevation not only lends itself to beautiful views but also cooler temperatures and gentle breezes with average summer temperatures in the mid 70s and upper 40s in winter
- Blue Ridge Medical Center – Yancey Campus specializes in family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, and obstetrics & gynecology with six physicians
- Blue Ridge Regional Hospital is a part of the Mission Health System and is located a short drive from Mountain Air
- Mission Health is headquartered in Asheville provides world class health care services
- Air Ambulance access is available directly to Mountain Air Runway
- Membership at Mountain Air Country Club is the most inclusive and comprehensive way to take pleasure in the community and lifestyle
- Mountain Air club memberships offer something for everyone
- Mountain Air currently offers four types of membership categories
- Full Golf, Associate, Social & Executive